The project is a collaboration between two Perth families: Mark and Alana Dowly and Helmuth and Eugenie Stockmann. They are concerned about:
- Urban sprawl
- Climate change
- Environmental footprint
- Lack of community feel
- Little encouragement for creativity
- General health & well-being
- Car dependency
I'll be following along and updating the progress of the Green Swing as Helmuth and Eugenie are friends of ours!
For those families who might be contemplating a move or a new house to build, here are some thoughts to consider:
- Straw bale house building can be very inclusive - easy for people of all ages to become involved and help out
- Straw bale houses cost approximately the same conventional framed houses but the superior insulation benefits from the bales can reduce energy costs by up to 75% (over a 30 year mortgage), saving money and vital natural resources.
- can look very beautiful and like 'normal' houses!!
Australian Strawbale Building Association
Ontario Straw Bale Building Coalition
European Straw Bale Building Association
Andrew Morrison - Strawbale.com - Frequently Asked Questions
Amazing book list from http://www.thelaststraw.org
The Straw Bale House (and others at Amazon.com)
The Green Families Guru